Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I just received the car.. I bought t in for basic work. 1985

Customer Question
I just received the car....
I just received the car.. I bought t in for basic work. 1985 Eldorado Biarritz 75oo miles. 2 things. Service soon light wont go off. I sent the mechanic the instructions on this site he said tit did not work. Second After full tune up , the car has nil acceleration. I was told to tell him to chage the timing gear from someoe who knew the car. Mechanic stateted timing perfect.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: nil to all
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Cadillac Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No its inn pep boys
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/22/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Have them do the following(see attached diagram as well)

The ``Service Now'' and ``Service Soon'' lights are used to indicate a malfunction has been detected in the system.

The dash-mounted light(s) is used to indicate system malfunctions or abnormalities. These malfunctions may be related to the various operating sensors or to the ECM. The light(s) goes out automatically if the fault clears (intermittent). However, the ECM stores the trouble code associated with the detected failure until the diagnostic system is ``Cleared'' or until 50 ignition switch on-off cycles have occurred without the fault reappearing.

Proper operation of the light(s) is as follows:

a. The light(s) is normally off.

b. A bulb check is performed when the ignition is in the ON and CRANK positions. When the engine starts, the bulb(s) go out.

c. Either the ``Service Now'' or ``Service Soon'' light will illuminate and remain lit depending on the malfunction detected.

d. If a malfunction is intermittent, the light will go out when the malfunction is not present. The light will come on or flash on and off each time a malfunction is detected.

e. When ``Service Soon'' and ``Service Now'' malfunctions are detected simultaneously, only the ``Service Now'' light will illuminate.

f. Both lights remain lit when the system is in diagnostic mode.

The dash-mounted digital display panel, normally used for the ECC system, can be temporarily directed to display trouble codes stored in the ECM, Fig. 7.

Entering Diagnostic Mode

1. Turn ignition ON.

2. Depress OFF and WARMER buttons on the ECC panel simultaneously and hold until ``..'' appears, Fig. 7. ``(-)1.8.8'' will then be displayed which indicates the beginning of the diagnostic readout.

3. Trouble codes will be displayed on the digital ECC panel beginning with the lowest numbered code. Note that the fuel data panel does not display when the system is in the diagnostic mode.

Trouble codes stored in the ECM's memory may be cleared (erased) by entering the diagnostic mode and then depressing the OFF and HI buttons simultaneously, Fig. 7. Hold until ``.0.0'' appears. After ``.0.0'' is displayed, ``.7.0'' will appear. With this displayed, turn off ignition for at least 10 seconds before re-entering the diagnostic mode.

Once they have the fault codes, let me know them

you know thecar 'has probably been off the road s3 or more years. Two tires were splitting. We did a complete tune up, idler arm..shocks and more. The single big issue is that the car does not accelerate.. To go 0-30 it put puts. This is the problem I need resolved. The mechanic received many codes.. Here they are:
13, 19, 23, 28, 31, 34, 35, 44, 52.....ALL OF THESE CODES ARE IN THE ECM, ALL CODES ARE HARD CODES
the mechanics e mail is ***@******.*** if you can cc the response to both of us

HI,

Ok, give me 30 minutes or so with all these codes

HI,

code 13 is for the O2 sensor

code 19 - fuel pump relay circuit

code 23 - HEI (high energy ignition) circuit

code 28 - transmission control

code 31 - map sensor

code 34 - map sensor no reading

code 35 - baro sensor

code 44- O2 sensor circuit

code 52 - indicates that the ``long term'' memory in the ECM has been reset. This will occur whenever power is removed from the ECM. The code should be cleared from the memory after restoring the ECM's power supply. When the ``prom error'' is corrected, the ECM resets its memory and stores code 52.

With the vehicle having sat for so long, it is possible that all these components have failed, but I would more suspect that either wiring harness has damage from rodent chewing on the wires or the ecm has failed

What is your recommendation regarding no acceleration.... and second what do you suggest he do regarding all thre codes?

HI,

The lack of acceleration is most likely tied in to all these codes. the MAP, BARO, and O2 sensors will affect engine performance and can cause loss of power/acceleration, as will the HEI which is what delivers spark to the spark plugs.

He is going to need to address all at the same time. If it were in my shop, I would start by thoroughly inspecting the engine bay wiring harness and harness at the ecm for any signs of rodent damage and replace the harness if found. If harness ok, then I would replace the ecm and erase all the codes and see if any return and address those that do at that point.

Most likely you are looking at quite a bit of work and time to resolve both the lack of power on acceleration and all the fault codes as they are tied in together.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager