Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

This morning it began overheating and I get a P1258 engine

code. There is no loss...
This morning it began overheating and I get a P1258 engine code. There is no loss of coolant.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I see no leaks, and the system is full of coolant (Dex-Cool at 50/50). The cooling fans seem to be operating normally.
JA: What is the model of your '50 Cadillac?
Customer: It's a 2008 DTS.
JA: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I've done so far is top off the coolant - it was down about a quart.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has in the neighborhood of 96,000 miles on it.
9/20/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-click on link to view pdf file and insturction on how to troubleshoot the DTC P1258

Possible causes & check :

* Cooling system leaks * Kinked or pinched hoses, especially at the radiator * Loose, missing, or damaged radiator air seals or deflectors * The radiator and A/C condenser for any air flow obstructions or bent fins-Refer to Symptoms -

2-Circuit/System Verification Important: If DTC P1428 is set, diagnose that DTC first. 1. Observe the engine coolant level. The engine coolant level should be within operating range. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid, and Engine Coolant. 2. Ensure that the vehicle has the correct engine coolant, with correct concentration, and is not old, contaminated or contains additives. Refer to Recommended Fluids and Lubricants. 3. Inspect the cooling system for the following: * Cooling system leaks * Kinked or pinched hoses, especially at the radiator * Loose, missing, or damaged radiator air seals or deflectors * The radiator and A/C condenser for any air flow obstructions or bent fins-Refer to Symptoms - Engine Cooling ( See: Cooling System > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures) . Important: A small delay occurs before the ECM changes the cooling fan speed. 4. Command the cooling fans in both low and high speed. ◊If the cooling fans do not operate in both speeds, refer to Cooling Fan Inoperative ( See: Cooling System > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Cooling Fan Inoperative) . Circuit/System Testing 1. Test the thermostat for correct operation. Refer to Thermostat Diagnosis ( See: Cooling System > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) . 2. Test the engine cooling system for overheating. Refer to Engine Overheating ( See: Cooling System > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Engine Overheating) . 3. Inspect the water pump and coolant flow for correct operation. Refer to Water Pump Replacement ( See: Water Pump > Removal and Replacement) . 4. Inspect the engine mechanical for worn/leaking/cracked cylinder heads and engine block. Refer to Coolant in Combustion Chamber ( See: Engine > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Coolant In Combustion Chamber) .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found bad tensioner, bad water pump pulley, and (I assume) seized water pump. All getting replaced tomorrow in addition to the thermostat. Thanks for your help!
Awesome news you found the problem ,sorry it happened but at least you get it done and want break down again on youYou are very welcome :)
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
True! Driving out of state with the car on Friday morning - the tow bill would have been more than the parts to fix it!
not including might blow gaskette ,I m about to sign off for the day , we talk to you later ,have great dayPlease remember to Use The Stars to Rate me on top of screen so I get compensated for my timeThank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat