Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Eldorado. I can't get the key out of the

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 1998 Eldorado. I can't get the key out of the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

Looks pretty good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just lightly trying to remove it. Don't want to force it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The parking indicator comes on. But doesn't shut off when I turn the key off. I didn't want to leave it that way over night so I disconnected the battery.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/20/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 11 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Does the key turn all the way to the off position

Hi Eric, the car does turn off, however, the indicator light that tells me witch gear it is in stays light in the park position. I disconnected the battery so that it wouldn't drain while the car was parked overnight.

HI,

Ok, this means although the key turns all the way to the off position, the ignition switch that the ignition cylinder connects to is not turning all the way off, usually from worn contacts. The ignition switch will need to be replaced

is it OK to drive until I get it to the shop?

HI,

Yes, it is ok to drive until you can get it to a shop, you just have to continue disconnecting the battery so it wont be drained until you are able to get it into a shop

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Thanks Eric! I'll get it to the shop and see if they agree with your diagnosis.

you are welcome