Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Same problem as Pete, roaring engine, feels like driving in

Same problem as Pete, roaring engine, feels like driving in low gear, sluggish and jumpy acceleration
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: The car is a 2011 and I have not checked the fuel filters
JA: What is the model of your '11 Cadillac?
Customer: SRX
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, have no idea what or how to fix. It's been driving this way for a couple of months
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not really

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a fault with a restriction in the catalytic converter.The catalytic converter will restrict internally causing this fault here needing replaced.It causes the engine to sound like it is working hard or roaring but the vehicle will be sluggish.

What needs to be done is to have an exhaust back pressure test done to see if the back pressure exceeds 1.5 psi at any time.If it does then the catalytic converter itself is at fault needing replaced to resolve this issue.You can usually rent a back pressure tester from a local parts store and thread it into the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor port.Then run the engine from idle to wide open throttle briefly.If the back pressure exceeds 1.5 psi then the catalytic converter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you!

Your welcome