Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Cadillac Deville and am losing coolant.....no…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 Cadillac...
I have a 1996 Cadillac Deville and am losing coolant.....no obvious leaks in hoses or under car....has new radiator cap. Heater works, no water/coolant in oil.. Had an overheat situation about 3- 4 mths ago and shortly after I started losing coolant ("check coolant level"). Car heats up fine, runs between 196-206 degrees. Am wondering if I have a partially blown head gasket. Any suggestions ? I don't really notice any burnt coolant smell but my nose ain't that good either.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/17/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 9 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

Do you see any white smoke coming out the tail pipe?

No white smoke, no water in oil but losing coolant.....after about 50-80 miles my warning light comes on to check coolant level.
Usually have to put in a 1/2-1 gallon or so.
The overheating problem 3-6 mths ago was from the water pump belt breaking (separate from larger serpentine one).
New upper tensioner installed at that time too.
Radiator was flushed etc approx. 12 mths ago
Car has been pretty well maintained
Flush may have been 24 mths ago.........no longer. Can't remember whether it was last Oct or the one before.
Dex-cool was flushed from system 12+ years ago and have been using 50/50 Presto since

I know you will probably not believe me, but flushing out the dexcool was the worst thing you could have done to this engine. There are plastic gaskets in this engine that regular green glycal anti freeze will damage. Look on the back of the engine just below the heads and see if you see any coolant leaks around the bypass that runs from head to head just above the transmission.

will do
I find your comment a bit humorous tho.......I can find 20 techs (master on) that have nothing but negative things to say about Dex-cool.....

Like I said you will not believe me. There are to many " techs" out there that you can not get to believe the damage that green antifreeze has on newer engines. Green antifreeze turns acidic after about a year and starts to eat at the gaskets that are made of plastic. This is also true about the plastic tanks on the radiator and heater core. Almost every tech I have talked to says that dexcool turns to mud. And yes this is true to a point. It only turns to mud if mixed with green antifreeze, or the so called " will mix with anything " coolants. If dexcool as not mixed with anything but water, it will never turn to mud. Also dexcool is a little bit thicker, and can lubricate the water pump. If you use green antifreeze you MUST add the old tablets tot he system to keep the water pump from premature failure. Never the less, you have green coolant in the car now, so we need to find out where the coolant is going. Did you have a chance to look at the bypass to see if it was leaking around the plastic gaskets?

OK......let the engine run for 20 minutes......took a high beam light out and looked around entire engine (no hoist so did it from the top).....I see no sign of fluid, moisture etc anywhere.....including around the bypass area.

Then the next step will be to get a coolant system pressure tester and apply about 18 lbs o pressure to the system and see if it leaks. Your local auto parts store should have one in there free loaner tool program. Can you get one?

will have to check...think autozone has them....but it's raining pretty hard right now so will probably put this off for now. I know how they work....only problem is they don't tell you WHERE the leak is..........or whether it's internal or external

Yes they do. With the engine not running the pressure will push the coolant out of where ever it is leaking from so you can see it. If you pull the spark plugs out, if the leak is in the head gasket or heads, when you turn the engine over with out the plugs in the coolant will shoot out the spark plug holes. So do not stand in front of the spark plug holes when the engine is turning over or the coolant can hurt you as it comes out at about 150 psi. If it is leaking out a gasket, heater core or radiator you will see a puddle build up under it.

Make sure not to accede 18 psi. If the pressure drops, there is a leak. Keep the pressure up till you find where the leak is. If you do not see any coolant on the ground, check the floor boards, or see if coolant is getting into the cylinders.

I'm guessing Ill need to pull all plugs to make the determination if the first part doesn't show a leak

You are correct.

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you found anything?