Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Oil lines on the trans. keep blowing apart. Repaired 3 times…

Oil lines on the...

Oil lines on the trans. keep blowing apart. Repaired 3 times with the same issue. Changed trans cooler again the same thing happened.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Not sure car belongs to my granddaughter. could that be the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2006 CTS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Car has been repaired at GM dealer and private shop. Same issue each time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats all

9/16/2017
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

The cooler lines are blowing apart? Or just starting to leak slowly after a period of time?

They are blowing apart.

Does the transmission work well, aside from this issue? Does it shift harshly or anything like that? Check engine light or other warning lights illuminated?

The transmission seems to work fine until that point.

OK. My concern there is that line pressure was excessively high, and thus blowing the lines apart. If you don't have a harsh shift concern, line pressure is fine.

I don't have a reason for why these are coming apart on you. From where I sit, it would seem to be a part quality issue, and likely nothing to do with workmanship by the mechanic. I presume you're buying GM parts for it, but that doesn't mean that they won't have a run of bad parts. It definitely happens. I've not experienced this on any of my customer's cars, either, and there's nothing in my database that suggests this is an ongoing problem. Yours simply seems to be an anomaly.

Our mechanic has two CTS's that are blowing the lines off. Ours is a 2006 and the other is 2004.
Could a plugged oil filter cause the lines to blow ?

No, the transmission fluid does not push through the filter. It is drawn through the filter on the suction side of the pump.

Ok thanks. What amount of pressure should be on the transmission lines ?

It varies with temperature, gear selection, etc. but typically it's very low pressure, on the order of 20-30 psi. Pressure goes up in reverse, and the computer controls pressure (that's why I asked about check engine light, etc. earlier).

I would check the whole cooling system, if this were in my shop, by using a transmission flushing machine that plumbs into the cooler line. This way, the flow can be tested and the pressure can be monitored. If there is a blockage, it would show up very quickly. Also, if pressure is abnormally high, it would be very apparent.

Ok we will have the coolant lines checked '

That's the one variable that keeps coming back to my mind. Ask your mechanic if he has a transmission flushing machine that connects to the cooler lines, and he'll understand what I'm talking about. It makes perfect sense to use that tool to monitor pressure and flow through the cooler circuit.

that makes sense !

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am happy to follow up. Thank you!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician