Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Coolant leak my car is making a noise like brakes going bad.

something like that. Parked...
coolant leak my car is making a noise like brakes going bad. something like that. Parked it at my office. Scared to drive to a mechanic.
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: My car is a 2002 cadilac escalade. I have no idea how old my hoes are. I use to have someone take care of all the service work.
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a women. I know nothing about cars except what I learn from computer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

You say there is coolant leaking from under the hood? How long has this been going on?

Does this noise happen all of the time with the engine running?

The coolant light came on 2 days ago. My employee was driving the car and went I drove car 1 mile to my office I noticed the coolant light come on. The car started making noises.

Thank you for that information.

If the vehicle is leaking coolant, the cooling system NEEDS to be pressure checked using a cooling system pressure checker. This will make it easy to pinpoint the leak. Once the leak is diagnosed, the faulty or leaking component needs to be replaced and the coolant needs to be flushed and filled. Once this is done, you will be good to go!

I suspect the noise you are hearing is from coolant on the belt. The serpentine belt is likely squeaking causing this noise you are hearing.

If you are a mechanic, I just wanted to know the worst case senerio. Like maybe blown gasket, bad hoes. Would it be safe to drive about a mile to a mechanic?

YES, the worst case scenario would be blown head gaskets or an overheated engine that would need to be replaced.

However, as long as the engine does not overheat, yes, you can drive it about a mile to a mechanic. I would top off the coolant first before you drive anywhere.

Would it hurt the car to drive a mile to a mechanic

As long as it does not overheat while driving. YES, you can drive it a mile

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

I need to fill it up with 50/50 collant before I drive to a mechanic and ofcouse that makes sence.Could I put to much or do I fell to top.

You could put in just water. The only reason for coolant is the additives for the long term of the life of the cooling system. The mechanic should flush the system anyway once the repair is made. He will then add the correct mixture.

YES, right now you can top it off all of the way.

I just fill the radiator with water.

YES.

The radiator and resorviour.

Be sure to do this with the engine COLD.

what is the resorviour?

That is the overflow for the radiator.

fill the radiator untill its running over?

NO. Just fill the radiator with water and you will be ok to drive 1 mile.

Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Thank you so much! You have been so helpful!

You are most welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician