Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a 2010 Escalade Hybrid that seems to slip in third

Customer Question
gear; only when pushed hard. JA...
I have a 2010 Escalade Hybrid that seems to slip in third gear; only when pushed hard.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 105,000 and no leaks
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. My local shop is afraid of the Hybrid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. the key is that it is a Hybrid, and has a 4speed auto
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/15/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: tim's auto repair, mechanic replied 4 months ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

Hi Tim. I just took a long trip this weekend and noticed the issue while accelerating onto a highway. I can put the trans in manual mode and it only happens in third.

ok

have you checked the fluid?

I looked up the unit on the web, and it appears to be a sealed unit. Is this the case?

ok..you dont have the 6l80e?

I have not yet. Does it have a typical fluid fill like any other auto trans would have?

ok.you have the 2ml70 transmission

I am in NYC and the car is out on long island. I can easily check that tonight. Is it a known if you have low fluid for that to happen. I know that is the case with my daughters Jeep TJ when cold.

please stand by. perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you.

thanks

Okay. Thx
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

If it is slipping in third gear, there is no outward component that would cause this. Any kind of slipping is due to a failed clutch or hydraulic component inside the transmission.

As you said, checking the fluid is the first step. Here is the factory procedure for checking the transmission fluid on your Escalade.

Transmission Fluid Level and Condition Check

1. Start the engine and operate the vehicle for 15 minutes or until the transmission fluid reaches an operating temperature of 65–80°C (150–180°F).
  2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
  3. With your foot on the brake, move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for about 3 seconds in each range, ending in PARK.
  4. Apply the parking brake and let the engine idle for 3 minutes.
  5. Remove the transmission fluid level indicator. Wipe the indicator clean. Insert the indicator by pushing it back in all the way. Give the indicator a full twist in order to close.
  6. Wait 3 seconds and remove the indicator.
  7. Read both sides of the indicator. The fluid must be within the hot cross-hatched area using the lowest level reading.

Fluid Condition Inspection

Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.

• If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of “friction” material in the bottom pan is a “normal” condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.
  • Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician