Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 2001 Deville and have been experiencing a problem

Good morning.... I have a 2001 Deville and have been experiencing a problem starting the car when warm, and in warmer weather. When trying to start the engine it would be totally non-responsive. On most occasions if I wait a bit and keeps trying it does eventually start. I took it to my normal dealer and they said that the computer in the steering column does not recognize the chip in the key (they both were original). He replaced both at a cost of $600. and the problem still exists... I took it back twice and they programed the computer but did not work either..
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No.. outside of air in the tires and filling fluids..that is the extend of my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believes that about covers it

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter engaging to crank over the engine at all when this occurs or is the starter not engaging at all to crank over the engine?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, there is no engagement of the engine at all... no grinding, no clicking, nothing
The panel lights do come on however

Do you see a security light or theft light on or flashing near the gauges at all when this issue occurs?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nope
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nope... no security light or theft light lit
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still waiting for a response and diagnosis.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple of days.

O.k.,this doesnt sound to be a theft/security fault here then.

This can be an intermittent fault with the starter relay acting up needing replaced or a fault with the starter itself.I have seen both of these intermittently act up causing this fault here.If you have a test light or multi meter I can try and walk you through the testing for these here just let me know.The signals need tested to determine which is at fault when it is acting up.If you do not have one of these tools to do this testing someone who does have these tools will need to test these here.If you would like info on how to test this just let me know but this does sound like the starter or starter relay as the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you...This sounds beyond me and more like a dealer issue....

Your welcome.

In some cases if you dont have the necessary tools to do the testing it can require someone that has these tools or a shop or dealer to do this testing.I would have these tested though to locate which is the cause then it can be repaired from there.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete