Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I hear a whinning noise when I accelerate. Looks like it's

Customer Question

I hear a whinning noise when I accelerate. Looks like it's coming from the transmission. Checked the oil in it and it looks fine.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: For the transmission? Don't know just bought the car a couple months ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2006 cts with the 2,8L
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just checked if there was enough oil in the transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 month ago.

The first step is to confirm that it's a noise from the transmission, and not the rear axle. This is easier on a lift, with someone in the car and the wheels spinning in gear.

A whining noise from the trans can be considered normal, depending on how loud it is, what gears or speeds it does it, etc. Any check engine light or anything like that going on with the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No lights. It happens when I accelerate from 0 to about 40 mph

How loud is it, is it obnoxious or just there? Does the pitch change when the transmission shifts gears, or does it go up and down with vehicle speed, regardless of what gear it's in? Does it make a difference if you're accelerating or decelerating? If you shift the car into neutral at 30mph, does the noise change?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I shift to neutral, noise stop. It's not overly loud but it's loud enough to bother me. The pitch is the same wathever gear the car is in and it changes to higher note as the rpm go up. It follows the rpm. When I'm cruising on the highway at 70 mph and 2500 rpm I don't hear it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'd appreciate if you could enlighten me to a couple of possible scenarios so I could troubleshoot it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?