Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2005 CTS 2.8L Car was sitting, battery went dead. Took it

Customer Question

2005 CTS 2.8L Car was sitting, battery went dead. Took it out and tested bad. Had to save for new battery. Now theft system on, car won't start, key stuck.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Purchased and installed new battery.
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes too poor to pay someone
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

We can try resetting it manually , usually we need GM tech II scanner , but if there is no fault in system and only battery went died it should ,if the master reset did not work we need to scan it with capable scanner that car read cadi anti theft and retrieve fault codes and based on the fault codes we can pull up pin point trouble shoot and be accurate ,so you can post these fault back to me and i can help further in case it did not work

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is possible that the new battery does not have a full charge now as I have been trying to save enough money to have it towed to the dealership. Can I charge it off my other car somehow?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would the battery being weak affect the procedure you gave me to try?

Yes , you need to be sure it is charged, if you have a charger ,recharge it again ,we need good 12 volt battery]

if anti theft system sees weak battery it will trigger again and want reset

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, tomorrow I will take the battery and get it charged. Then I will reinstall it and allow it to charge up the car. Right now, absolutely nothing happens when I turn on the key. Then I will remove the battery cables and do the procedure you told me. Does that sound correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car has been sitting for a very long time. Should this still work?

i would suggest taking battery to local parts store,like advance auto or auto zone ,let them run a load test on it if good ,then use it and recharge it ,if not replace it

keep me updated ,i be around tomorrow

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since the battery is new, I will return it and get them to charge it. I am assuming that it must be reinstalled in the car for a period of time before I attempt the procedure you told me because at this time the car does totally nothing when the door is opened or the key is turned on. How long should I leave the charged battery installed before disconnecting it and trying the procedure?

If they replace it for you with new one , no wait necessary , just before installing it ,do the cables touching 60 secs, to take any residual power in harness and kill module, most likely they are reset but do it anyway so we follow procedure, then connect battery and follow the reset

make sure battery cables are no corroded or loose ,if you have test light check all fuses , get one from local parts store around $10

in some cases we have ignition switch issue , but sound like battery since car been sitting

let me know

Chad

You are very welcome :)

Thank You
Chad Farhat