Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine on my '86 cadillac deville backfires when I step…

Customer Question
The engine on my...

The engine on my '86 cadillac deville backfires when I step on the gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its been going on for about 3 weeks and I think the noise is coming from the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

No and I haven't tried anything. I'm hoping that this is something that would not require a major engine overhaul.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

None that I can think of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/12/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 9 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

When was the last time the car had a good tune up including cap, rotor button, plug wires and plugs?

A major tune up was done by AAA about 2 months ago. Actually, it was already backfiring when I took it there but the tune up didn't fix it...

Did they replace the distributor cap?

The reason I ask is most shops consider a a tune up just replacing the plugs, and a major tune up plugs and wires.