Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My 2003 cadillac cts dies after it warms up from driving but

Customer Question
once it dies it takes...
my 2003 cadillac cts dies after it warms up from driving but once it dies it takes sometimes hours even days to start again
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes the headlights turn on and the battery is fully charged
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes replaced fuel filter replaced the o2 sensor cleaned out the fuel injectors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you also answer other questions relating to a different make and model car
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/8/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This is a common symptom of a worn fuel pump. You can check fuel pressure when it will start then compare to when to when it won't start. If pressure is lower during no start then you need to replace the fuel pump. Fuel pump is about about a 5 hour job to replace. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

the car runs with power when given gas in fact i rev the rpms to keep it running but i have to utilize the brake simutaneously with the gas for example in a thirty mile hour zone using the above stated technique {gas and brake }ill be doing sixty could this still be a fuel pump problem
Cadillac Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, if the fuel pump is overheating it can happen at any speed. If the fuel level of the tank is low, exposing some of the pump module it can overheat especially when the pump is 14 years old. Is you check engine light on or does it come on when driving at all?

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic