Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 STS 3.6 liter. Check engine light came out with

Customer Question
2008 STS 3.6 liter...

2008 STS 3.6 liter. Check engine light came out with "Reduced Engine Power." Smell of gas. Running rough

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just happened as I pulled in to work. So no, have not done anything with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cadillac
9/8/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This could be a fuel pressure regulator that failed causing it to run rich and go into limp mode. This needs to be tested with a scan tool to see what the code is that set too. It's most likely a rich code, so we would also need to test the fuel pressure and regulator with a gauge.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.