Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My 2007 Cadillac SRX (119k miles) had a “reduced engine

power” check engine light come...
My 2007 Cadillac SRX (119k miles) had a “reduced engine power” check engine light come on. I took it to my mechanic and it pulled 3 codes. One was replace the ECU and the other two had something to do with the ECU. My mechanic said take it to the dealer to narrow down the real reason. After diagnosis, the dealer said replace the ECU and Power Foot Assembly all for $1200. I couldn’t afford that so I bought a Used ECU for $93, took it back to my mechanic and had them replace the ECU and a new PFA.A few days later, I go to get it smogged and the same “reduced engine power” check engine light comes on. My mechanic isn’t sure what the issue is. He’s guessing that it could be because of the used ECU (emphasis on “guessing”.) What say you guys? I don’t want to go back to the dealer for $150…
Any suggestions?
8/31/2017
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** you tell me if the used ECU was properly programmed to your vehicle or was it simply installed?

My mechanic "programmed" it by doing what he called a key learn. Something like that... Other than that no programming.

Thank you. A key learn is not all that needs to be done. It needs a full reflash which cannot be done by most shops. If that is not done then there will not be proper communication between modules which will cause this. It sounds like it needs to be fully programmed. Most of the time this costs about $300-400 at the dealer.

I think my dealer said they could do it for $150. And I was planning on doing until my mechanic said he did the key relearn and everything worked. So it still needs to be reflashed even though the key relearn made the car turn on and run?

Yes. The relearn is only for the security system and not for the overall computer communication.

Ok. Thanks.
would it be ok to drive the vehicle to my dealer?

It should be fine to drive you just have to dealer with the powering down issue. If you need more help in the future please let me know

Please rate my service when you have time also. Thank you

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Thanks. I'll rate you as excellent.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician