Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Well, the check engine light came on and I noticed that the…

Well, the check engine...

Well, the check engine light came on and I noticed that the remote start circuit will not work. Something else is I hooked up my ck/eng code reader and it will not come on. I tried it on my pick-up and it works fine. Thought it might be a fuse problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2012 Esclade

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, if I can. I was a mechanic years ago. I checked the fuse box on the end of the dash and all look good although I don't think any of those fuses have anything to do with the remote starting. I'm now looking at the main fuse box.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it . . .

8/30/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you experiencing any engine performance issues like skipping or stalling?

No, running fine
OK

My apologies. There are only a handful of Techs that take phone calls. Unfortunately, I am not one. If you'd like, we can continue here in Q&A chat and I can provide you with the information and help you need, and I can handle any follow-ups you may have. If you'd rather have a phone call, please sit tight one moment until an available Tech can take your call.

No, your fine

Ok. Great,. Thank-you. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Hello, are you still there?

Yes. I'm still here! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight... be right back...

K

Thanks for holding!

Ok. First- When the Check Engine Light comes on, the factory remote start system is shut off. This is a self-preservation mechanism in case the reason why the check engine light can cause the engine harm. So, turn the check engine light off, and the remote start system will come back online.

As for the DLC port not connecting to the scan-tool- more commonly, this is in fact a fuse problem. The fuse is located in the under-hood fuse block and is labeled as "LTR". If the fuse is good, then the wiring to the DLC port will need to be inspected for any loose, broken or damaged wires. More commonly, the fuse is the problem because it also protects the instrument panel power port.

If you are not experiencing any engine performance issues, more than likely the problem is in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. There are dozens of monitored parts and sensors in this system, so we'll need those p-codes to point us in the right direction.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

can you hold till I go check this fuse?

Yes. Absolutely! I'll be here.

the 20 amp fuse is blown. I don't have an extra fuse, I will have to go get some. Is there a ref.# I can get in case it doesn't fix it or re blows the fuse. I may have a few more questions. Would I be charged again?

If the fuse blows again, the problem will be in the power port in the dash.

Just bookmark this page now, and you can jump back here when ever you are ready. We can pick it right back up from here.

Follow-up questions are always Free... even after you leave a rating using the stars at the top of the page.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
Ron, I replaced the fuse and reset the check engine light . . . so far so good. Thanks

Ok. After a computer reset (clearing the codes) if the problem was not addressed, or was not repaired correctly... the code an d engine light will return within 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving. If this happens, re-scan the codes and bring them back here and I can help you solve the problem for good.

In the meantime... glad I could be of some help! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -