Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Car starts but as soon as I take my foot of gas pedal it

Customer Question

car starts but as soon as I take my foot of gas pedal it stalls. worked fine then an hour later this.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: check engine light has been on for over a year. the car stalls as if shut of when I take my foot off gas pedal
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: Deville.
JA: What year is your DeVille?
Customer: 2004 with the northstar engine
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would if I knew why it was doing this. I am unfamiliar with all the electronics on these newer cars. I'm from the old days.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Press/hold the INFO OFF/ON and INFO UP buttons then select option to "read all codes". Let me know what codes come up, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It brought up a lot of codes, do you want the history ones or current ones?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Current ones first but give me all of them. I only need PCM codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry i dont get paid until tomorrow and right now i am broke
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I'm guessing website tried offering phone call, that has nothing to do with me. I'd prefer doing chat anyways. Sorry about that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats quite alright
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Let me know what PCM codes you are getting. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P0102 history
P0300 history
P0420 current
P0442 history
P0742 current
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

P0102 is related to the mass airflow sensor which could cause the stalling problem you are having. Make sure the intake boot that goes between mass airflow sensor and engine is not ripped, if not unplug the mass airflow sensor to see if that helps if sor eplace the sensor. P0300 means random cylinder misfire which usually means ignition coil or spark plugs. P0420 is related to the catalytic converter, P0442 usually means fuel cap, and P0742 is related to torque converter clutch solenoid. The only codes that would be related to stalling is P0102 or P0300. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.