sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

The cruise control will not set. The light on the steering

Customer Question

The cruise control will not set. The light on the steering will is on but the light on the dash does not turn on when I set my desired speed
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I have not checked the fuses, I check the owners manual and it did not have a fuse listed for the cruise control. All the other steering wheel controls work and all the other dashboard bulbs appear to be working.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 07 and the short body style
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I just bought the car yesterday and noticed the cruise not working a couple hours ago when I was driving back home.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that can prevent cruise control from working and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. The problem may be with the switch itself or it's wiring. It could be the brake switch, or another seemingly unrelated powertrain issue. Electronic throttle control issues, a MAP or MAF related fault code, a speed sensor issue, and transmission concerns can all prevent cruise from working. If a failure is seen in any component which can inhibit the engine controller's ability to properly control vehicle speed then it will disable cruise.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see if any fault codes are setting. If no codes are found then data will need to be looked at while driving to determine why cruise isn't being allowed.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!