Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Instrument panel indicates "Park into Shift" after car in

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hi. How can I...
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: hello,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: instrument panel indicates "Park into Shift" after car in parked and ignition turned off. Car continues to stay on, motor not running but radio active.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: I took it back to dealer and they could not resolve. Wouldn't they have ccheck the fuse?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2011 Cad. SRX
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, just frustrated. I have taken it in twice since I purchased in Nov. and the cannot diagnose.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They said they adjusted the shift (?) but the problems back and I am afraid it might a pre cusor to something bigger.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
7/28/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since it sounds like they had adjusted the shifter cable and this did not correct the fault and you are seeing this message still as well as the radio staying on this indicates that the fault is with the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch.This switch sends a signal to the computers when it is in park.This allows the radio to turn off and key off to be removed.Unfortunately this switch/sensor is located inside the transmission where the transmission cable attaches as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zh8yj8anky2mj4/tr-07-28.gif?dl=0

The cost is around $150 for this switch and 5.6 hours labor to have replaced due to its location.This is a common component that fails and causes this issue here.I would ask the dealer if they will help with the costs since they misdiagnosed it previously as some will help with the costs for replacement.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician