Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cannot open glove box stays in valet mode. sts 1999, tried

Customer Question

cannot open glove box stays in valet mode. sts 1999
JA: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried opening glove box with ignition key- only key I have ever had.TRIED SEVERAL TIMES.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No it will open the doors,start the engine and trunk.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The glove box contains all of the information required to show ownership, insurance,and all pertinent documents.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens unfortunately is the latch binds or jams for the glove box causing this fault here.In some cases pushing on the glove box at the same time you are trying to unlock or open it will allow it to then open and in other cases I have had to break the glove box handle and use pliers or similar to release the latch to then open it.Once opened then I had to replace the glove box handle and in some cases the latch.

Unfortunately when it jams like this here there is no easy way to get it to open and this usually has to be done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete