Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Running lean, 2010 cadillac srx, i have it at the shop going

Customer Question
running lean JA: What is the...
running lean
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2010 cadillac srx
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have it at the shop going to have the fuel system cleaned out
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: same as usual just idling funny and not responsive when hitting gas
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
will that fix the running lean issue having the fuel system cleaned out it has 93000 miles on it
7/25/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd agree that this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

if this is all OK then this could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer