Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a salvage 2004 Cadillac XLR. It has been repaired

Customer Question

I have a salvage 2004 Cadillac XLR. It has been repaired physically but not electrically. It may need both an ECM and BCM. If I buy rebuilt or junk yard parts can they be flashed (or whatever you call it) or otherwise be made to perform normally in my car? Please don't guess at answer. It is very important to me that you know!
JA: Are you fixing your XLR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to, and have been working on it for 6 months without results. Do you have for sure info to be able to answer this questiom?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did not realize I wasn't connected yet, but I think that's enough for a start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I'm way beyond that.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 3 months ago.

There should be no problem reprogramming the ecm and the bcm. When the programming is done need to make sure that the vehicles VIN is correct before programming. Sometimes it will pull the last VIN that the module remembers. I had a problem with that when I programmed an ECM. It thought it was a different vehicle. Once I got the correct VIN in it programmed good.