Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The cooling fan continues to run after I shut engine off.

The cooling fan continues to...
The cooling fan continues to run long after I shut engine off. Temp gauge is just below the half line, no indication of overheating. This condition developed this evening after an hour long drive home with ave. speed of 45 mph, but nothing over 60. The weather here is currently 80 degrees, 10:30 pm CDT just took it for a*****of 30 mph with AC off & heater at full blast, temp gauge never wavered but fan continues to run
7/21/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

just so i m clear it is still on after you turned switch off and key out and 10 minutes passed and still on correct ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Can you do this below procedure and tell me if it quits

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and start vehicle

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

still running after initial shutdown 1:25 minutes ago
iam a farmer with a little more than basic mechanical understanding, but i do understand electrical systems can be a more significant challenge. these are steps taken so far: initial shutdown, run continued; restarted and checked gauges, all normal range; raised hood to check engine compartment air temp, very warm; sussed fan would shutdown; 10 minutes, still running; took vehicle for a short***** no help; read owners manual; took for a*****with no AC and heater full blast, shut down, still running; check engine compartment air temp, much much cooler, but fan still running

oh cool, I live in country to ,horsing community ,tryon nc, so i m familiar with hay ,horses cow, wood splitting,got my wood stove have to keep it running :)

the fans can stay running up to 10 minutes that is normal depending on outside temperature,

now if longer ,we have several issue could be causing it fan control module build on the fan Assembly or the coolant temp sensor are the most common but testing is needed

on 2010 you need to have it scanned with gm tech II scaner or equivalent & retrieve fault codes to be accurate and u can post them fault code back here and i can help further but u can check few things yourself

try the reset if that does not work , check the sensor and the module if any sign damaged pins burned wiring ,check coolant level

YOU ARE WELCOME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
ok I just unplugged fan wiring so as to save battery and will plug it back in when i take it to my local Caddy dealer in the morning, they are familiar with my car and can run all the scans. Thanks for your help.
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat