Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Change new battery and alternator and it is still only

Customer Question
Change new battery and...

Change new battery and alternator and it is still only charging at 13v

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes. every year now for 2 years. but now it charges for about 5 min at 14.7 then it drops to 13v and stays there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not a mini a cadillac escalade ext 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it thanks.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
6/22/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today.

What brand alternator did you put on the vehicle and was it new or re manufactured

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a rema I think bocsh from Canadian tire

Sounds like the alternator is failing, when replacing those I only go with ac delco brand new, great brand and great warranty

Its pretty common for the parts to fail like that

Also they could have put the wrong alternator on there there are 3 different options for that engine series I believe.

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My old alternator did the exact same thing. It would charge at first start up then drop to 13 v and stay there I put a Remy in it and it does the same thing

Is the battery light coming on ?