Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2000 Cadillac Seville Change Brake Pads message in

Customer Question

2000 Cadillac Seville Change Brake Pads message in instrument cluster wont go off. I have changed the brakes, replaced all the brake wear sensors, and erased the code several times with a scan tool. I need to figure out what is causing the code to come back and the message to stay on.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

What is the fault code # retrieved and you can not clear ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
C1246. I have cleared it a few times and it comes back immediately.

ok great ,thanks

Please read below & click on link to view troubleshoot steps needed to be done to know why

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN NOT VIEW THE DIAGRAMS

2000 Cadillac Seville SLS V8-4.6L VIN Y

Save Article

Zoom and Print Options

Circuit Description
The brake pad wear senor signal is normally grounded at the EBCM through the brake pad wear sensors in a series circuit.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The stoplamp switch is open.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The brake pad wear sensor signal voltage is greater than 2.93 volts for 1 second.

Actions Taken When the DTC Sets
The DIC displays the Check Brake Pads message.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

Zoom and Print Options

Zoom and Print Options

^ The condition for the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is no longer present (the DTC is not current) and you used the scan tool Clear DTC function.
^ The condition for the DTC is no longer present (the DTC is not current) and you used the On-Board Diagnostics Clear DTC function.
^ The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in*****cycles.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Check the ground point for this circuit G402

click on link to view location

In the left rear corner of the rear compartment, near the C400 connector

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you GM tech II scanner or equivalent or just a basic code reader

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
Please kindly rate Me ,Your 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,
You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert
that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My apologies for the delay Chad I got caught up in another project. I noticed while grounding out the left front connector the error code was able to be cleared and stayed off. After I hooked the sensor back up it came back and would not go away when I tried to ground the connector again. I believe I have a short in that connectors wiring. Please give me directions on running a pin test on that connectors wiring. Thanks

Awesome news man ,no worries

I m glad it is working now

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chad the problem is not fixed you need to read the whole previous post

oh sorry , for some reason it did not show me the last post but now i see it ,

but I m not sure what you asking about a pin test

you can check the wires by doing a continuity test on the wires .

If the pins in that connector are bad, we usually replace the connector ,we usually get a used connector for junk yard or online source like eBay ,where somebody got a used harness for sale.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A continuity test

yes that is to to check the sensor wires from pin back for any breakage in the wires , you have to get to both end of the sensor wires , using voltmeter on continuity setting and wire extension

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand that. I need to know where the wires go so I can check continuity. I need a picture of the connector/s and to know the pins location on the connector/s so I can run a continuity test.

I will opt out of your questions and open it for other experts to assist you on it , i do not have a pictuer for it sorry

good luck to you

do nit reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and othe experts want see it to assist you