sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

The battery keeps dying after about a day. I have taken it

Customer Question

The battery keeps dying after about a day. I have taken it to a mechanic and an electrician and no one can find the problem. They also say the battery and alternator are good. Please help?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes and its a brand new battery.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2003 Cadillac CTS
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have had the battery and alternator checked 3 times at auto zone and by a licensed mechanic and since they could not find a problem we took it to an electrician to see if it was an electrical issue but we still have no answers.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well now the window buttons are not working correctly since we took it to the electrician and when we bought the car the brake light was not turning off which was killing the battery at first but the mechanic fixed that issue and now the battery just keeps dying we cant figure out what keeps making it die. The car will start again after we jump it and runs great but after not starting it for about 12 or more hours is when it dies.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!