Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

My key is stuck in the ingnition was able to turn the car on

Customer Question

Hi my key is stuck in the ingnition was able to turn the car on just dash not working properly. How to fix the issues
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel and the car is in park
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: The key is quite old 2006 cts
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am and I found the key release switch but I haven't done anything else until I find a permanent fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the first time this has happened and I have gotten the new key for the recall
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the key not turning off all of the way to remove it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's not turning all the way off to take the key out
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,there are 2 causes for this issue here.First is the shifter not all the way in park or is in park but the release solenoid on the shifter is not releasing to allow the key to go to off position for removal.In some cases you can tell this is the cause by pushing up hard into park and holding or jiggling the shifter to see if it then turns off and removes.If it does then the solenoid needs replaced on the shifter.

If this does not work the other issue is the electronic ignition switch.The switch has several contact circuits in it that can fail one at a time and one controls the release solenoid.This circuit can fail causing this issue here with this switch needing replaced.This would need to be tested to verify this is the cause using a fully compatible scan tool as well as a multi meter for electrical testing.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete