Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

It cranks but wont start, Yes both are getting fuel and

Customer Question

It cranks but wont start
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: Yes both are getting fuel and spark
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: I replaced a 06 cts 3.6 into a 07 cts 3.6
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I had a mechanic do this for me but he says he can't get it to start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He also replaced the wiring harness . He told me this might fix the problem and still not working . So he thinks it's electrical problem
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Simple test. See if the engine will start up and run for a few seconds after spraying a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body then quickly turning the key to start. If it does start and run for a few seconds then the problem is with the fuel system, so make sure the fuel pump runs for the first 2 seconds the key is turned to start and if so, check the fuel injector fuse/s and if they are fine, check for a crankshaft position sensor trouble code. If it doesn't start with the starting fluid, then most likely you have no spark, so check the ignition fuses and again check for trouble codes.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I see both engines are a vin 7, so that should not be a problem.

If there is a theft or security light on flashing, try another key or clean off that key and try again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do you mean Vin 7
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not with the car . It's at a mechanic . And he told me he can't do anything else . He said for me to take to dealer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

That is the engine vin, or the 8th digit of the vehicle that engine came in.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Buy a $3 can of starting fluid and try it before calling the tow truck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm going to check the other title right now to make sure it's the same
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I know it's the same.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is the same .he checked fuel and spark . He even swapped the wiring harness to make sure that wasn't the problem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

He may have checked fuel pressure but what about fuel injectors actually working?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Was this a running 2006 engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know . All I know right now is that he wants to charge me for the engine swap . I bought the second car for parts at an auction and the car runner but it had interior electrical issues . So I took the engine out and I bought a car that had a blown engine I thought it might be a simple swap . Not he's telling me take it to the dealer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

try the starting fluid and let me know what happens

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try tomorrow . Can I still chat with you tomorrow
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI mike
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

yeah?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI I talked to the mechaniche and he told me he checked everything you said . I talked to someone else they said maybe the computer had to be swapped too . Where is it located . And are they right
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Did it start with starting fluid or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. Only cranks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

And if it is getting a spark, about the only thing left is the timing of the spark or the firing order. Unless all the spark plugs are fouled.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about the computer or igniting key could the key have a chip?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He also said something about concerning a blue light . Thay it look good or passed the test
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

If that were true, you would not have a spark.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

You had better go take the car somewhere else.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah he said take it to the dealer . But I was hoping to save some money . He already charged 1500 to swap engines
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

It doesn't have to be the dealer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if theres no spark then what could be the problem
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

You opened this post by saying "Yes both are getting fuel and spark" not you want to change your mind and say, " no spark"? Why?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I never said no spark . He told me it does . And you're saying it's I'm posible to have spark if he did the test. I'm going by what you're telling me too
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

You just asked "So if theres no spark then what could be the problem" and at first you said, ""Yes both are getting fuel and spark" So why not are you asking what it could be if there is no spark if you already confirmed there is a spark?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not the one working on it . I don't know anything about engines. And I told you he did some kind of blue light test and it passed . So then you said " if that were true ,you would not have a spark" so I'm jusT going by what you said
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I don't know what his blue light test was. I don't know how much more I can help if any at all unless I can text, talk directly with your mechanic.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.