Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Is there a problem with the 2009 CTS timing Belt? 33650, I

Customer Question

Is there a problem with the 2009 CTS timing Belt?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 33650
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking to buy this car at auction tonight and have read about others having problems.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO thanks
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The 2009 CTS dose not have a timing belt but instead it has a timing chain. There has been some issues with the timing chains and GM has released a service bulletin dealing with replacing the chain if needed or reprogramming the PCM if the chain checks okay. The warranty on these has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. If you are under the mileage and you make this purchase then you should take it in and have it checked. I have enclosed the service bulletin in reference to this for you in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Timing%20Chain%20May%209.pdf