Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Cadillac Escalade ext Third brake brake light is always…

2002 Cadillac Escalade ext Third brake...
2002 Cadillac Escalade ext
Third brake brake light is always on but dim. The brake lights in the tail lights do not work, I have power going to the fuse box, all fuses are good.cant find a decent wire diagram or connector pinouts. Brake switch is working, customer replaced it and trailer connector and no change. I'm thinking it's in the underwood fuse box? Found a mouse nest and chewed wires under the fuse box and repaired them with no change to the brake lights. It did solve the right turn signal issue though.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the third brake light fuse has 10v on it with the brake switch open. Thanks
4/28/2017
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today. Please bear with me for just a min while I form my reply to you.

Rear light brake lights go through the multi-function switch on the dash (turn signal switch) if they do not work you will need to check power from it to the lights, sometimes you can play with the switch and or 4 way switch and get them to work or act up.

The 3rd brake light comes from the brake light switch directly, for it to be on and the switch not active would suggest a short. This means you will want to check the switch power out when the pedal is not touched and no power should be passing (this will be hard if there is a shorted power wire back feeding that circuit) if the switch is passing power through than it is either bad or something is out of adjustment.

If there were chewed wires I would check for more as there could be more in another area including inside the dash (it's amazing what mice can get through), also chewed wires that cause shorts can melt wires further down the wire/circuit and thus cause further melting and shorts that could be causing the problem.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Joe
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician