Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Just picked up 97 Deville. Not running. It reads, "THEFT

Just picked up 97 Deville. Not running. It reads, "THEFT SYSTEM PROBLEM" , "CAR MAY NOT START". Is there a way to clear this code at home. Because the car don't start.
I tried the trick of turning inj on and off three times and then unlocking the doors with the button on drivers door. But dawned on me, trunk latch is broke, possibly maintaining trouble code?
How do I get this car restarting?

Hi Im David, if you turn the key to the run position, does the theft light blink?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not now

it doesnt blink? is it on steady?

im closing up shop and headed home. ill be back on in about an hour.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The "securty" light in not on at all

thats a big problem and you will never get it started. you need to have the vats system looked at and probably reprogrammed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im sorry. My ringer was off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Securty light now blinks when i enter the car.

ok, does it blink with the key on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
SoooooNo blinking with key on

with key on is it on steady?

does it go out when cranking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just the "theft sys" cycles through
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All lights go out when cranking

then its not anti theft.

can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has preasure at. Fuel rail

ok. good. and you said you have no spark correct?

are you there?

If you are getting that message on your information center, then there is absolutely a theft deterrent issue, and 99% of the time, it's due to a failed ignition lock cylinder.

The lock cylinder, with the tiny wires that read the key chip, needs to be replaced along with new keys. You'll likely have to visit your dealer to get the keys read, and they can provide you with the correct parts to make your car start. Replacing the lock cylinder requires some special tools that you probably don't own, so my recommendation is to refer this to a repair shop that can do it for you. Expect this to be about a $400 repair with parts and labor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am happy with the repair answer but will give one star for the extra charge.

I would ask that you reconsider your rating, because I receive no compensation for my work unless you rate three stars or higher.

I'm not sure what extra charge you incurred, but if you would rate the question high enough for me to compensated, I'll submit to customer service so they can look into any extra charges.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why did you bill me $36 after the $26 payment? This is my second request for definition for this extra charge. Im going to rate one star.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Though i am happy with my answer and have another but i want to know the extra charge? Im told it's $26. But then charged $52. Quit abit different.

I do not know, I have nothing to do with billing on my end. I will submit this to customer service so they can work it out with you, though. Please stay tuned, I'm sure someone will be in touch with you about it.

Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All right Jerry. Now that my car runs, it runs pretty good and smooth it seems until it warms up. I pulled code P0113 and P0300 after a short test drive. Whats weird though the coil packs are reverse to what is on the manuel. Standing in front of car the coils read, 7135 nearest me and 6482 nearest to fire wall. Im kind a puzzled. Just noticed it says this question is closed.