Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 Cadillac STS just randomly shut off going home from…

Customer Question
My 2006 Cadillac STS...

My 2006 Cadillac STS just randomly shut off going home from work. It had a quarter of a tank in it so it didn't run out of gas. Everything in the car like the radio and etc still comes on. It just doesn't want to turn over. I do have a bad fuel pump so maybe that's it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Me and a couple buddies were trying to figure it out. Earlier when it happened. I thought maybe the oil was low so it just shut but I put 4 bottles of it in. And still nothing. We took the cover of and started messing with it and it just doesn't want to turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeah just tell him I have a bad fuel pump when I put gas in it I have to rev the throttle And it starts up. Rather than that no

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
4/2/2017
Cadillac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will cause a no start condition, especially depending on what is actually happening. A bad fuel pump will cause a no start condition but it won't prevent the engine from cranking.

Did you actually check the level and found it took four quarts to bring it to the full mark?

Was there any abnormal engine noise?

What specifically happens when turning the key to the crank position?