Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

2006 Cadillac STS - Engine light came on last week. Took it

Customer Question

2006 Cadillac STS - Engine light came on last week. Took it to Autozone and they pulled the following codes:
PO496 (X2)
P2187
they suggested a new canister purge Valve. I can probably figure out easy enough how to install it but my question is - will that fix both error codes and how do I reset the system once the new part(s) are installed?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The faults will need cleared out either with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle using the clear codes function or by driving the vehicle up to 2 weeks or longer until the computer runs its own testing in your vehicle to see the faults have been corrected.These are the only ways to clear the code and turn off the light.

P0496 can indicate the purge needing replaced and can be common for this code here.

P2187 is a fuel trim fault code here.This can also be caused by the purge stuck on.

I would start with replacing the purge solenoid and see if this resolves both faults here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete