Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

The dash board is reading that it is in drive and won't st,

Customer Question

The dash board is reading that it is in drive and won't st
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Month I haven't been able to drive
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2005 deville
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I sent it to a transmission shot they said they can't figure out what the problem is another shop said I need a transmission but I know how to bypass and start the car and when it's started every gear the car goes in drive even if I put it in reverse or neutral it drives
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Once I got it started and I drove the car the transmission shifts perfectly
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

With the key ON, can you pull the gear stick from P to L and from P to L again a few times fairly quickly, then put it in Neutral and tell me what the display says.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still say drive
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's still in drive
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, Give me just a minute here.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

When you put the car in Park, is it really in park, or does or can it roll without you putting your foot on the brake?

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Or when you put it in Park, it still in drive right? so it can roll even if you put the shifter into where park would be.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it feels like it want to take off
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

I mean with the engine off, and the shifter in the Park position, does the vehicle roll like it's not in park?

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Is it on level ground right now the car? I want to know if when you put it in park if the vehicle is able to roll or not, or if indeed it is in park and can't roll. You follow me on that question?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it doesn't roll and the gear shifter feel normal when I putit in different gears
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, did you look at the linkage, out under the hood, where the shift cable comes out and attaches to the transmission itself, and make sure it was fastened properly and not loose and not popped up out of the position switch and nothing was abnormal there by chance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked at it it seems to be intact doesn't look out of place
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, I thought it could be the linkage, but if you looked at it and it looks good, then I will opt out to see if any other experts have another opinion. Thank you.