FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

1993 Cad Deville, the volume of air being is pretty low and

Customer Question

Hi
1993 Cad Deville, the volume of air being blown is pretty low and when running with heat the air only comes out by the feet and not the dash vents and just the opposite when running AC. When adjusting the fan speed there seems to be only 2 speeds either really low at low setting and medium speed when toggled to the high position
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the fan speed only works on a few speeds then most of the time the issue is in the blower resistor module. The module fails internally between multiple resistors and causes this. You would need to test the module with a voltage meter in order to make sure that it is bad. It can be a controller issue but that is not as common. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
why don't I get any air at all out of the dash vents, could it be that the fan is doing it's part and the control function is not working to open the a directional flapper to manage where the air is suppose to flow?

It is possible that there is an air door issue under the dash that is causing this. If you can hear the fan changing speeds then it may not be a fan issue. At that point the fan motor can be removed and the function checked with it out of the dash. If it is working then there is a problem in the dash.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm thinking there is a problem in the dash, so now what should I do?

You would need to start pulling the dash apart and check to see which air doors are moving. It may also be a vacuum loss causing this. I would check the vacuum hoses that are going into the firewall on the passenger side under the hood.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll go out and have a look see

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked all the vacuum lines at the fittings and all are secure and no line hanging loose.

Then the dash would need to be removed in order to check each one of these systems.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a diaphragm that could be failing?
If so is there a way to check that first?

There is nothing that can be checked other that the fan motor without taking the dash apart.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That sounds like $$$$

Diagnosing a problem like this can be expensive as it is time consuming to remove the dash.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it thanks for your help.
If you think of anything else that I can check before I go down that path please send me an email
Thanks

I definitely will. These older models do not have as many electronics as the newer models do but I will keep you informed.