Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do you trun off the check engine light, stays on, 2009…

Customer Question
How do you trun...

How do you trun off the check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2009 escalade hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

We just drove from LA to Lake Tahoe and about 100 miles out as we stopped at a gas station, the check engine light came on and I also saw a DIC that said Service Hybrid System. I discovered you can still operate the vehicle if this message appears so I mostly want to be sure it is ok to drive back to LA and then have my dealer check it out...the engine light being continuously on makes me a bit nervous thought.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it for now...

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
11/25/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately the only way to turn off the check engine light is with a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with the engine and transmission computer.The scan tool is used to perform the function of clear fault codes.The other option to do this is to operate the vehicle for up to a couple of weeks off and on until the light turns itself off but this will only occur if the fault has been corrected.

The vehicle may operate and drive properly now but there is a chance a Hybrid component is failing which caused the light to come on and message you see as well here.If it were mine I would have this looked into as soon as you can before continuing on the trip to make sure this isnt something that can eventually break down on the road leaving you stranded.Usually a local dealer or shop in your area can read out and diagnose the fault codes to help pinpoint and repair this here.Or at least allow them to read out the fault codes to let you know if it can be driven until it can be repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know if it matters, but my 3 sons are with me and all had electronics plugged into a power strip plugged into the DC outlet. Could that have stressed the system in addition to the significant elevation changes of driving up the mountain?

Usually this wont cause a fault here as long as the alternator was still charging properly.If it wasnt charging properly usually the engine would have died out or electronics would have turned off.I suspect a sensor or component in the hybrid system is acting up possibly needing replaced.

If you can I wouldnt take the risk traveling to far until you can have this looked into further.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician