Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im having issues with the alternator and power. It started…

Customer Question
Im having issues with the...
Im having issues with the alternator and power. It started off with a warning that my car was in power saving mode with the battery light on as well. I continued to drive because I was not close to home. It also said low voltage as well, the ABS light comes on after driving the car for about 20 min then car completely shuts off with no power. I replaced the battery, still experienced the same issue. I replaced the alternator, still same issue I had both the new battery and alternator tested. The battery was fine, the alternator came back that it was not supplying to the battery. Because the alternator was brand new I was told it may have been defective, so I replaced the alternator again. The issue has not gone away. My car will not keep a charge. I have had the battery fully recharged each time the alternator was replaced. The car is only running off of the battery so I may get about twenty minutes of drive time before it shuts off. Of course I'm only driving it to test it to see if the issues been resolved and it hasn't. What are the odds of another defective alternator, if that was even the issue in the first place. Both alternators were brand new. First replacement was installed by a mechanic, the second one my husband did the replacement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
10/29/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Sheri,

The next thing you need to do is have the car diagnosed for the power saving mode message displayed on your dash.

There will be a code set in the vehicle for this, possibly in the BCM or PCM.

Your alternator is not being turned on, could be a wire or terminal problem at the alternator connector, or within the harness.

Gary

Hi Sheri,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician