sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Stability control system light comes on, and cruise control

Customer Question

Stability control system light comes on, and cruise control disengages.
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Yes to question 1, and no to checking the fuses. This only happens intermittently, and it seems to depend on the outside temperature, although that may be my imagination.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2004 DeVille Vintage Edition
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried anything, other that to be told by my mechanic that they can't work on the stability control.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things you could have going on. The problem may be a wheel speed sensor signal being lost or there may be an engine related issue causing both problems. The stability control system relies on the ability to request engine torque so an engine related issue can turn that warning on. You could have an electronic throttle control related problem such as a bad throttle body.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then some testing will need to be done from there based on what is found.