Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

We replaced the turn signal switch but from the old one to

the new one the wireing...
We replaced the turn signal switch but from the old one to the new one the wireing harness has the ground wire with a ring connector and not plugged into the plastic harness connector.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: The fuse is brand new as well, the only issue is that the ground wire is not connected therefore the turn signals will not work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: its a 94 deville cadilliac
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we are fixing it ourself, we have replaced the turn signal switch which was the problem. I've been able to make a temporary ground connection but it only works for a second or two. I'm not sure where to ground it to permanently to have it work properly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the bulbs and fuses have been replaced and the hazard lights work, only the turn signal won't work because it's not grounded properly because of the ground wire has a ring connector on it and not plugged into the wiring harness with the rest.
10/19/2016
ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

can you upload a picture of this ring ?

i would connect it to one of the 2 bolts holding the steering column to the under of the dash

it just needs a solid piece of any metal or aluminum to be bolted too tight and it will be grounded

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try that tonight after i get out of class, if that doesn't work can i resume this chat then?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just find it weird that on the old part the grounding wire was connected to the bulkhead connector with the rest of the wires from the turn signal switch and this one isn't...

you can also look at the upper steering coulnm 4 -13 mil bolts and you can use one of those to ground it too

you sure can just reply back through this post for any follow up

i agree with you if you want you can cut the eyelet off and connect it to the old ground just be sure the old one is a confirmed good ground

dont forget to rate us here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i tried grounding it to the bolts and that didn't work. I took one of the old wires and connected it to the end of the eyelet and plugged it into the connector, based off a photo i took of the old one connected still and it still doesn't work.

can you call the company you got it from and tell them its wrong to your car ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unfortunately i can't. We've looked and there's only two version of it and the other one doesn't fit this car at all. From what i can tell it's not grounding properly or another part is bad, any ideas what other part it might be?

i do not

lets see if another expert knows hang on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have fixed it, we had to replace the flasher unit again and now it works. Apparently the flasher unit we bought was bad out of the box so we replaced it with a new one and now it works. Thank you for your help.
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician

The Ring is to be grounded at the Steering Column, as shown in the below Attachments
.
IF the Turn Signals do not work, you need to do some Testing, as the issue is probably elsewhere in the vehicle
Fuse A11 located in Rear provides Voltage to the Switch Relay with Key ON
The Switch Relay is located in the Rear also
Fuses B1 & B3 located in the Under Hood Fuse Panel supply Constant Voltage
Here is Schematics
Click Attachments Below
(7) attachments

C

fa235967-1dc0-418b-83d6-...pngfa23596...png1417a523-c3f1-46c3-8286-...png1417a52...png0a2f1aaf-0906-4adc-a131-...gif0a2f1aa...gifb1b1a6c1-24f1-4f5a-9bd5-...gifb1b1a6c...gifa9079fb0-9f0b-4020-8b3e-...gifa9079fb...gif97fa655b-0f6c-4138-a618-...gif97fa655...gif4f38d4b1-dfa9-466a-9937-...gif4f38d4b...gif

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

Did you have any other questions?
Thank you.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Cadillac Technician