Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

91 DeVille with intermittant no start. all other systems

Customer Question

91 DeVille with intermittant no start. all other systems lights etc come on but turn the key and absolutely nothing. no sound. had dealership cut me a new key with a new VATS and several days later same problem. it started unexpectedly waiting for tow truck. then drove home. where once turned off it wouldnt start for weeks. tow truck started loading and it started. it has been at the garage for 3 weeks and the car starts everytime. they cannot get it to duplicare the problem
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: tried it in park tried it in neutral locked and unlocked the steering even tried the park neutral back to shift trick still didnt work
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i'm not i have it at a garage. when the problem started it would fire up right away with jump start literaly only hook up cables and start. layman mechanic did the positive battery cable and better ground. thought issue fixed. several days later same no start. same guy replaced the starter again it seemed problem solved about a week later same thing. i was driving it throughout this intermittent no start. started fine until i would stop someplace come back and no start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is at the certified garage i use. the mechanic there determined after the starter replacement and the ignition problem happened again that the layman mechanics repairs were sound. it started as normal for several weeks and the issue no start happened again.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If you can get the car to act up check the operation of the security light in the dash. See if it is blinking or on solid with the key on and post back with the results and I will see if I can help you get this resolved.