KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Changed the battery and now the security feature isn't

Customer Question

Changed the battery and now the security feature isn't allowing me to start the car.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: No I just bought it used in February
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2000 escalade. I have an alarm key chain thing but it doesn't actually work to lock or unlock the doors
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm attempting the security reset by leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes but the security light is not going on and it continues to turn over then shut off immediately
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just got it back from the dealership where they fixed an issue with the brakes. But the brake light switch malfunctioned leaving the brake lights on overnight which is why I needed the battery.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 9 months ago.

You have to do a 30 minute relearn to reset the anti theft system on this truck. You will also want to connect a battery charger so the battery will stay fully charged as you do the relearn. Here are the steps you have to use to get it to restart.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont have a battery charger....could i connect jumper cables to another running vehicle while doing this to get the same result?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
far the security light is not going off.

Yes you can use jumper cables to a running car to keep the battery charged. The security light will not be activated to you turn the ignition switch to the start position and then back to the run position. So go from off to start, and then to run and watch the security light.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The security light is still bot turning off or flashing. I am hearing a slight click noise coming from the center console area in between the two front seats every 10 seconds

The light will not flash, it will come on for ten minutes and then go out, when it goes out, turn the ignition switch off and then back to start and then right back to run for another ten minutes.

If you miss a step or wait to long between each step you will have to start all over again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Better wording...the security light is not turning off at all. Well after 10 minutes

Is there anything other then the starter that is not working, such as lights, radio ect?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything else is working. I took it to the dealership to have a brake problem fixed. When we picked it up the battery was drained because a light was left on. After charging the battery the car will turn over and act like its going to run and then immediately shut back off. The security light us on.

When you go from off to start, are you just bumping the starter or are you trying to get it to start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh... trying to get it to start. Am i supposed to just bring it forward without trying to turn it over

You need to turn the switch and activate the starter so it just bumps the engine over for half a second and then let the switch go back to the run position.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont know what else to do. I dont seem to be getting anywhere.

Slow down. I know you are frustrated with it. Do this for me please, Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive cable. Let it sit for 5 minutes so it clears all the computers in the truck. Then reconnect the positive cable first then the negative and try the relearn again please.

If the security light starts flashing when you go from start to run, leave it alone for the 10 minutes and see if the light will go out.