Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2008 DTS / Speed limited to 82 mph comes up on the dash(and

Customer Question
won't go over 82mph) since...
2008 DTS / Speed limited to 82 mph comes up on the dash(and won't go over 82mph) since installing non FE3/ F55 rear shocks (KYB after-market w/o sensors)
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: i'll have to check
JA: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm actually an independent shop-trying to save the customer from having to replace the OE / $800 each factory shocks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much? $$ :-)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 day by:
10/13/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

Unfortunately, that is what happens when you replace with non factory shocks.

I feel your pain, but trying to save money has now added to the cost.

The only way around is to fit the correct shocks, then clear the codes set.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I KNOW this is what happens when you put non-OE shocks on but wasn't aware of the "speed limited to 82mph" issue because of that - StrutMasters sells a kit to do away with the factory ft struts & rear shocks and it comes with a resistor kit to plug into the rear wiring harness to fool the computer into thinking the factory shocks are installed- they don't sell the resistor kit separately. I'm looking for a "hack" to make the resistor kit myself - if you can't help with this, I'll just request a refund. Thank you for your time.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician