Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

WE ARE HAVING A BATTERY DRAIN, yes, no bad cells. There was

Customer Question
WE ARE HAVING A BATTERY...
WE ARE HAVING A BATTERY DRAIN
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: yes, no bad cells. There was a battery drain from the LOGIC SYSTEM in the SUPERNAV system according a GM TECH friend of myne - who says it is pretty common
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: it keeps spinning the CD player However, I have disconected the fuse for the NAV system and it is still draining
JA: What year is your Cadillac?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, we are a shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else really
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not wnt an email answer
i want a chatr answer
9/23/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'dfirst check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior lightstaying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in goodcondition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.Next I'd check thecurrent drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing theexcessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series withthe positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clampmeter on the battery positive cable.

Atypical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, ifmeasurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Onceyou've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiringconnections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by theengine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged- but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for thecharging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thingis – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer