Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

It won't go past 20 miles per hour. What do you think is

Customer Question
wrong. JA: What is the model/year...
It won't go past 20 miles per hour. What do you think is wrong.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 1997 Cadillac catera
JA: Are you fixing your Catera yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything, we'd like to take it to dealership to have it diagnosed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Engine did get a little hot.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
9/8/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

Matt, Engineer