Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a clunk on the right side that will not go away I

Customer Question
have replace the upper strut...
I have a clunk on the right side that will not go away I have replace the upper strut mount and bearing on both sides lower control arm on both sides lower ball joints with lower control arms brand new Michelin Tires in going over the slightest bump it sounds like the car is bottoming out I've got 85000 miles with the same struts electronic struts that is just wondering if the struts that I'm about to purchase are going to do take care of the problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
9/7/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. Usually this symptom is caused by bad stabilizer bar bushings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forgot to mention brand new stabilizer outer bushings and frame bushings I also disconnected them and had the same noise

It sounds like all that's left is the struts! When you replaced the mounts, how did the spring look?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They didn't look bad I was told Springs rarely go bad I have already ordered the struts OEM very expensive I don't know what else to do just wondering if you have ever heard of a strut that could function in that fashion over the slight when the mechanic did the upper strut mount and bearing he did say that the left strut had about a 1 inch drop but when you push down on it it seemed to almost just fall
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you feel a be smart to change the coils regardless of how they look

I have seen coil springs fail before. I have seen them crack, and also just get weak and sag. I suspect that the shorter one is either sagging, or possibly a piece broke off and came out. I would suggest replacing the strut as an assembly. I have on many many occasions seen struts cause strange clunks and other odd sounds going over bumps.

Is the side that's making the noise the one that's also lower than the other side?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really can't say that is obviously Lower but I did have that side out the strut and coil compressed it and see no cracks but that's not to say that they're both weak but I do know when I disconnected the nut on top of the strut mount the strut has a tendency to just fall I don't know what your damn mystery I might as well change the coils and all I got the struts off of Rock Auto for 5:14 a piece now I just hope to God that's the problem do you think there's any way it could be a A hub bearing

if you removed the nut and the strut fell, then that strut is doing absolutely no absorbing of any shock at all. That strut is in definite need of replacing and quite possibly why your getting a clunk. If you were to try to quickly press a good working shock down,(as would happen when going over a bump), you'd notice that it takes a lot of effort to do so. I am not talking about gently compressing the shock, but quickly. hopefully I said that in a way that makes sense.

if you had a bad hub bearing, you'd notice a moaning/groaning sound while in motion. That wouldn't cause the clunk over bumps like your getting. Now that you mention a shock that falls flat on it's face, I'm pretty confident that your new shocks will resolve the issue.

Please let me know if that helps at all. I want to make sure that you get the answer you came here for. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be more than happy to follow up on the results I should have the struts in Hand by Monday or Tuesday and will be installed the same day will contact you then thank you so much

Great. I look forward to hearing from you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician