Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Overheats and heater and air aren't working, haven't checked

Customer Question

overheats and heater and air aren't working
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: haven't checked either
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2003 deville presidential
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have it to our mechanic but I don't think he wants to bother with so thought I would try myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i saw that it could be the overflow tank
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. The first thing to do is check the coolant level and condition. If the coolant is dirty or gunked up it should be flushed and filled properly. If the coolant is low, it will need to be topped off and the air pockets will need to be bled out accordingly. Once this is done, this usually takes care of an overheating condition provided there is nothing else wrong with the cooling system.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

In addition, air pockets in the cooling system will prevent the heater from blowing nice and hot. Chances are this is what your experiencing.. unless the blower motor is simply not coming on. In that case, you would need to check for power and ground going to the blower motor.