Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

My 2013 XTS leveling system just stopped working. The rear

Customer Question
My 2013 XTS leveling system...
My 2013 XTS leveling system just stopped working. The rear end of the car is sitting very low. I received a leveling system error message on the dic. I had notice the compressor making different noises over the past few months. Do you think it is the compressor that has failed.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 105,000+ I do not have a scan reader but I can get it scanned
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am willing to change the compressor myself if needed. The failure just occurred on the way to work this morning.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Could it be a fuse??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/12/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician

This highly sophisticated system has diagnostic codes for troubleshooting the issues which could be a level sensor,a leak in the system overworking the compressor (which causes the compressor to overheat and make noise, most likely since you have compressor noise, the cause of the leak will have to be located and remedied before replacing the compressor otherwise you will just burn up another compressor, leaks can be found when the system is completely up on all four corners, by using soapy water in a spray mist bottle and spray all lines and struts, when leak located you will see bubbles form at the leak site.Please accept and rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I noticed in the past the compressor making different noises at different different times. The compressor is not running at all now. Would the diagnostics indicate if the compressor has failed?

Yes indeed, it sets a failure code as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
More developments - the leveling system did not work during my trip to work on Friday (50 miles on way). I stopped once, turned the engine off and then restarted the car - still no leveling system. I made one more stop before getting to the office and noticed how low the rear end of the car was sitting while the car was parked. Started the car again and drove the final 3 miles to my office. No leveling system - I park the car at work and the rear end remains in its low position ( only a portion of the top of the rear tires was visible. I leave work at the end of the day - surprisingly the car rides very smooth on the way home. I get out of the car and the rear end has returned to its normal position. Several more short trips and the leveling system is working fine. Your thoughts?

Most likely a failing level sensor on rear of vehicle.Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have further questions ,I will continue to answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I drove to work on Monday - the leveling system worked for about a 1/ 3 of the trip. The car lowered itself and stayed in this condition for the balance of the day. On the trip home ( I drive 50 miles each way) the car stayed in the down position. I stopped to get gas and the system came back on. I took it to the Dealer yesterday and they diagnosed a defective compressor. I plan on replacing it myself. I understand the leveling system must be de-pressurized first before removing the compressor. How is this done without the dealer's computer link?

Disconnect the fuse for the leveling system let the vehicle bleed down then replace the compressor, unless the compressor is the leak, i feel there is still a leak or failed level sensor, if the compressor were failed it would not intermittently air up to normal ride height , i would seek out a second opinion before replacing the compressor. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

cardoctor71
cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician