sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

On yesterday after I cranked my car, it indicated that the

Customer Question

On yesterday after I cranked my car, it indicated that the engine power was reduced. Ten minutes later, my air conditioner went off and would not come back on, the car was making a loud humming noise along with another loud noise. It has a picture of the engine showing and the CTS ran hot. It was jerking.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: No I have not, but I anticipate having the car checked after I leave work today. I usually work from 8 -5, but am leaving to go the dealership by 1:30 PM today. I actually should not be having any problems with the car being that I bought it April 19th for 25,000.00 CASH with an additional warranty for 3,000.00 MORE.
JA: What year is your CTS?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I don't anticipate paying out anymore money. I actually want CLASSIC CADILLAC to take that car back and I can pick out another one. What do you think?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I purchased the car it RUNNED very silently, but the past two weeks it has been making all kinds of noises along with the FAN staying on for about 10 - 15 minutes after I cut the car off. PLUS I told them that the driver seat would not let up. And they wants to CALL me whenever they want to - to do repairs. Which is not fair. They smiled when I paid cash for my car, but now I am getting the run around. I even paid 355.00 for another key and the fob plus I told them the existing one did not open the car at all times that I would have to open the trunk.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcom to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you have at least a couple issues going on. The cooling fan issue should be separate from the charging system problem that you appear to be describing. If you were losing electrical power with the engine running then odds are the alternator was not charging.

If the engine light was on it was because the powertrain control module saw a problem in a monitored component or system and set a fault code, the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what code have set. Do you know what codes are setting?