Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2009 Caddy DTS. Light smoke (burning smell) coming from

Customer Question
between firewall and back of...
2009 Caddy DTS. Light smoke (burning smell) coming from between firewall and back of engine. Car has no drip puddles. Tranny fluid red and not burnt. Oil level shows Mobile 1 Syntec still good. Car's gaskets look good as there is no oil on the engine anywhere that I can see. Runs perfect. Not sure where temp guage should read througout the day; this one reads at exactly in the middle and doesn't fluctuate so I don't think it's getting abnormally hot.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
6/8/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

The northstar engine you have is very common to leak oil between the case halves of the block. this would be very hard to see from the top, would need to look from under side with vehicle on a hoist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put it up on ramps and white paper down and it started dripping quite fast. It's not oil or tranny fluid. It's almost water like so I'm wondering is there a coolant hose back between the firewall and engine? The reason I wasn't seeing anything on the ground is because it's probably burning off rapidly.

That is water from the evaporator drain tube, this is normal when the air conditioning is on, it may be possible that the hose was dripping onto the exhaust pipe causing the water to steam/smoke. You could try to route the hose in a different direction and see if that helps.

The drain hose should be between the engine and firewall on the passengers side.

is there anything else I can help you with?

Dan, ASE Certified Technician