Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

I have a 2015 Cadillac ESV and something is wrong with the towing I can't get past 55 miles an hour and I'm 4 hours...

Customer Question
I have a 2015 Cadillac...
I have a 2015 Cadillac ESV and something is wrong with the towing I can't get past 55 miles an hour and I'm 4 hours from the nearest Cadillac mechanic
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
6/4/2016
Cadillac Mechanic: cwalkerjr21, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic

What exactly happened? Any lights on or flashing on dash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope just hooked up a 24ft boat checked all the brakes and the wiring everthing was good took off and got on the highway and won't go past 55. Tows good till you reach speed then it acts like the governor is not letting me go any faster. Im 4-5 hours from spokane wa if I was doing the speed limit posted which is 80 and already have a appt with a mechanic wen I get there but it's dangerous to be 25mph slower on a curvy two lane highway

What has happened is the vehicle is being limited. The only thing you can do is unplug both of the battery cables for 5 minutes and let the computer system discharge. This will reset the limp mode and put all the data back to default. Once you get there they can run the diagnostics on the scan tool and figure out why it is throwing it into limp mode. Make sure you have it out of overdrive until you get the speed up to what you want to be doing which should be 65 as 75 is the speed limit for the normal traffic and your hauling a trailer I would set it 10 under and try to get this to its destination.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that already reset the computer did all the towing procedures correctly when I reach 55 it backs off till I hit about 53 then accelerate and do it again. I'm mechanicaly inclined but I'm not really familiar with vehicles past 2012-13
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I usually work on my own stuff but I just bought this truck a few months ago it's got 7000 miles on it mainly for the wife to drive. I prefer GMC myself lol
cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic